Senior Machine Learning Research Team Lead
What's the opportunity?
Borealis AI is looking for a Senior Research Team Lead. The role includes managing a team of research team leads, researchers, and research engineers with the goal of delivering AI-based products for the financial services industry. In addition, you will lead initiatives that improve the effectiveness of the research organization.
Your responsibilities include:
- To lead a team of machine learning researchers delivering cutting edge AI technology to support AI-based products.
- To partner with Borealis AI’s product and engineering teams to ensure the seamless delivery of these products.
- To manage other research team leads and provide guidance and support.
- To lead initiatives that improve the overall performance of the Borealis AI Research Team.
- To help recruit, mentor and retain a high-performing research team.
You’re our ideal candidate if you have:
- A Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related technical field;
- 5 years of experience leading machine learning research teams in a product-centric environment or equivalent experience;
- A track record of successful people management including mentoring junior researchers and engineers, experienced high-performance researchers, and research managers;
- Experience delivering high-impact machine learning products
- Involvement across the research and development lifecycle, from prototyping to production, engaging with stakeholders to develop solutions that meet business needs;
- Detailed knowledge of cutting edge machine learning techniques;
- The ability to formulate and drive a research project independently;
- Exceptional communication skills;
- A history of high quality academic publications (e.g., NeurIPS, CVPR, AISTATS, ICLR, ICML etc.);
What's in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale.
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI, a RBC Institute for Research, is a curiosity-driven research centre dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Established in 2016, and with labs in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo and Vancouver, we support academic collaborations and partner with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence. With a focus on ethical AI that will help communities thrive, our machine learning scientists perform fundamental and applied research in areas such as reinforcement learning, natural language processing, deep learning, and unsupervised learning to solve ground-breaking problems in diverse fields.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.