What's the opportunity?
As a Data Engineer, you’ll focus on transforming messy, unstructured data into clean, structured datasets ready for use in machine learning applications. You’ll work collaboratively with Machine Learning Developers and Researchers to understand how data must be structured, then create scripts to extract, load and transform raw data. On any given day, you may be involved in a broad set of tasks that range from working with distributed systems and creating data monitoring services to writing an API for developer access. If thinking about the potential of artificial intelligence excites you, join us in pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
Your responsibilities include:
- Providing technical expertise and assistance with the Extraction, Loading and Transformation of massive, unstructured datasets;
- Working with data collection tools for the quick creation of labelled datasets;
- Help in with the development of machine learning products, algorithms and intelligence to solve impactful financial and business problems;
- Supporting assigned projects with thorough documentation of usage, design decisions and capabilities;
- Demoing results and findings to various internal and external business stakeholders.
You're our ideal candidate if you:
- Have a post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent;
- Love to geek out about technology and can’t wait to create massive impact;
- Thrive on searching and understanding the meaning of Data;
- Experience with writing modular, robust, scalable software in Python 3.x;
- Comfortable working with a variety of SQL, NoSQL and graph databases like PostgreSQL, OrientDB and MongoDB;
- Excellent knowledge with distributed computing technologies like Hadoop, Spark, HBase and Hive;
- Familiarity with the Unix command line and bash scripting;
- Experience with data visualization using D3.js, plotly or other open-source libraries.
What's in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable;
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale.
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI, a RBC Institute for Research, is a curiosity-driven research centre dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Established in 2016, and with labs in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo and Vancouver, we support academic collaborations and partner with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence. With a focus on ethical AI that will help communities thrive, our machine learning scientists perform fundamental and applied research in areas such as reinforcement learning, natural language processing, deep learning, and unsupervised learning to solve ground-breaking problems in diverse fields.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.