What's the opportunity?
We’re looking for a senior engineering leader who will work at the forefront of machine learning technology to solve challenging problems and deliver solutions that generate significant value and impact for Borealis AI and RBC. In this role, you will report to the Head of Engineering and manage a team of Engineering Managers and Engineers involved in multiple ML projects, across multiple locations. You will support those projects through their entire lifecycle: from discovery and research experimentation, through to implementing applications and solutions, and deploying them to production. You will provide your team with technical leadership, mentorship and guidance. You will work with other senior managers in engineering and across Borealis AI to deliver value and impact and help achieve our strategic goals. As a people manager you will be responsible for growing your team and fostering their career development and growth.
Your responsibilities include:
- Serving as an engineering technical lead for one or more ML projects;
- Establishing high standards and sharing your technical knowledge in machine learning, system architecture, software design, and engineering best practices;
- Establishing and maintaining collaboration with research, product, and business development teams to successfully deliver the best solutions;
- Collaborating with RBC business partners to establish the overall strategic direction for the project;
- Contributing to the overall strategic direction for Engineering at Borealis AI;
- Providing strategic direction, leadership, and functional management to a team of managers and engineers involved in multiple ML projects;
- Growing and developing your team, helping each team member advance their career development;
- Working with other Borealis AI senior managers to achieve the Borealis AI mission and strategy;
You're our ideal candidate if you have:
- 15+ years experience with software development and delivery;
- 8+ years experience managing engineering teams, including experience managing managers;
- Experience working collaboratively with business, research, product and other technical teams;
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software products, fostering career growth of software engineers, and establishing software engineering best practices;
- Led the full lifecycle of software product development including the successful deployment of products to production;
- Experience working in an agile, matrix environment, including managing team members across multiple different projects;
- Experience managing hybrid/remote teams and promoting an excellent employee experience regardless of where employees are located;
- Experience in machine learning or a related field;
- Experience with financial services and enterprise software;
What's in it for you?
- Become part of a team that thinks progressively and works collaboratively. We care about seeing each other reach full potential;
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including bonuses and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, commissions, and stock options where applicable;
- Leaders who support your development through coaching and managing opportunities;
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact from a local-to-global scale;
About Borealis AI
Borealis AI, a RBC Institute for Research, is a curiosity-driven research centre dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Established in 2016, and with labs in Toronto, Montreal, Waterloo and Vancouver, we support academic collaborations and partner with world-class research centres in artificial intelligence. With a focus on ethical AI that will help communities thrive, our machine learning scientists perform fundamental and applied research in areas such as reinforcement learning, natural language processing, deep learning, and unsupervised learning to solve ground-breaking problems in diverse fields.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment RBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veterans status, Aboriginal/Native American status or any other legally-protected factors. Disability-related accommodations during the application process are available upon request.