Senior Software Engineer, Identity Services
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems. Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together, we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in Canada, in the heart of downtown Toronto, with a satellite office in Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
This role is open to being 100% remote within Canada although our home office is in Toronto, Ontario. You may be required to travel to Toronto, Canada once per quarter for team and/or company events.
Who’ll You Be Joining:
The Identity Services team owns systems that enable authentication, access rights and account management for our portfolio of connected devices. We balance keeping our systems fast, scalable and performant.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Identity Services team you will be a technical leader who sets an example of excellence to your fellow developers and provides mentorship to help them improve their skills. You will help deliver on large, multi-year initiatives focused on a coherent customer experience across our platform while building for immediate needs and supporting sustainable architectures. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by collaborating with your peers to guide the technical vision, drive the system architecture, and establish scalable best practices.
As a Senior Software Engineer at ecobee, you will ...
- Help shape the future of our Identity Service architecture by solving our tough technical problems with novel, testable, and maintainable solutions
- Provide technical leadership and mentor other developers to grow their skills
- Manage and optimize the build pipeline
- Drive continuous improvement in coding standards, automated tests, and scalable code architectures
- Build strong partnerships with cross-functional teams and contribute to the overall direction of the company
- Lead execution on project plans, delivery commitments and risk mitigation
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you, we would love to chat!
- Several years of experience building and deploying high quality applications and services
- Technical and people leadership skills, an ability to inspire your team to write high quality code
- Experience using tools like Golang, Java, Typescript and 3rd party authentication platforms such as Okta/Auth0 (These are examples, and previous experience with each is not required)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience communicating with technical and non-technical stakeholders across multiple business units
- Experience with agile and other program management methodologies
- You proactively identify upcoming risks, issues and bottlenecks within your team and across departmental boundaries
- You thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous, and high stakes environment
- You are a smart, curious, and analytical person with a bias towards action
- Eagerness to learn about the Smart Home industry
Just so you know: The successful candidate will be required to complete a background check.
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen. By an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
Interview Process: 3 Rounds
- Round 1: A 45-minute phone call with a member of Talent Acquisition
- Round 2: A 1-hour virtual interview with the Engineering Manager of Identity Services focusing on your technical expertise and what matters to you in the workplace.
- Round 3: A 1-hour technical interview with members from cross-functional teams, consisting of both design and coding-oriented questions.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make a difference for the environment: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay. ecobee Leeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of a office-based, fully remote, or hybrid work environment. New team members working remotely, will have all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them, and we conduct our interviews and onboarding sessions primarily through video.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.