Senior Manager ESG Data and Insights
IGM Financial Inc. is one of Canada's leading diversified wealth and asset management companies with approximately $271 billion in total assets under managements. The company provides a broad range of financial planning and investment management services to help more than two million Canadians meet their financial goals. Its activities are carried out principally through IG Wealth Management, Mackenzie Investments and Investment Planning Counsel.
Under IGM Financial’s unique business model based on leading brands and multi-channel distribution strategy is Mackenzie Investments, founded in 1967. Mackenzie Investments is a holistic asset-management partner for thousands of Canadian financial advisors and the investors they support.
At Mackenzie Investments You Can Build Your Career with Confidence.
We have a vision and a strategy that will challenge the way business in this industry is done and help Canadians be successful in the ways that mean the most to them. As part of our team, you will do some of your best work, develop some of your most valuable skills and give back in ways that make a difference in the lives of Canadians. We are proud to be recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers (2022) by Mediacorp Canada Inc. for empowering our employees with the tools to thrive while working remotely, while also providing resources to ensure physical and mental wellness were put front and centre.
Join an unstoppable team that is embedded in continuous learning, understanding, and knowledge sharing. You will thrive in our supportive environment where you can indulge your curiosity to learn, while receiving the feedback you need to refine your skills and abilities. We are dedicated to offering a hybrid work environment when applicable.
Mackenzie Investments is a diverse workplace committed to doing business inclusively - this starts with having a representative workforce! We encourage applications from all qualified candidates that represent the diversity present across Canada – including racialized persons, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ community, gender diverse and neurodiverse individuals, as well as all who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Sustainability is a priority for Mackenzie. Sustainability is led by a Centre of Excellence that was created to build and deliver to clients a range of innovative sustainable investment products, solutions, and services. This range covers the spectrum of sustainable strategies including ESG integration, exclusion and screening, best in class strategies, thematic and impact investing. In addition, this team brings ESG expertise to develop and align firm-wide perspectives, to support investments teams to uniquely leverage ESG insights through integration and active ownership, and to reinforce Mackenzie’s commitment to Sustainable Investing to clients, advisors, and communities.
The team is currently recruiting for a Senior Manager ESG Data and Insights, responsible for 1) developing and maintaining proprietary ESG data and insights 2) consulting with investment teams and other stakeholders to share ESG insights and best practices, and 3) thought leadership to position Mackenzie as a leader in sustainable investing. This role is pivotal to Mackenzie’s ambition to generate ESG insights that are transparent, actionable, and relevant to the diverse range of investment strategies at Mackenzie. This role reports to the AVP, ESG Research and Insights, interacts with the most senior colleagues including investment boutiques, data science and architecture teams and has exposure to executive management.
Leading the design, development, and maintenance of proprietary ESG data and insights that enhance Mackenzie’s ESG integration, oversight and reporting capabilities (50% of time)
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of proprietary ESG data and scoring models working alongside investment teams, data science and data office teams
- Inform and drive Mackenzie’s strategy for third-party ESG data subscriptions and data ingestion processes
- Generate ESG insights tailored to Mackenzie’s diverse range of investment strategies
- Oversee the configuration of an ESG data infrastructure that meets each of Mackenzie’s use cases, including ESG integration, oversight, and reporting
- Develop ESG data governance practices in partnership with the data office
Provide consultation and expertise to multiple stakeholders on ESG insights and best practices (35% of time)
- Provide tailored support and consultation to investment teams, Enterprise Sustainability, and strategic partners on relevant ESG insights
- Advise on best practices for mitigating ESG risk and optimizing impact to enhance sustainable investing across the Mackenzie investment boutiques
- Oversee effective operationalization of ESG reporting across Mackenzie’s investment funds that adhere to sustainable investing policy, client needs and regulatory requirements
- Lead ESG reporting requirements according to frameworks such as TCFD, CDP, UNPRI, UN SDGs and EU SFDR
- Build strong relationships across stakeholders and become a credible voice for ESG insights
Be a thought leader to position Mackenzie as a Canadian leader in sustainable investing (15% of time)
- Present proprietary ESG insights and best practices across Mackenzie, industry partners and clients
- Produce thought leadership and provide effective education on quantitative ESG insights
- Provide coaching and support to ESG analysts within the Sustainability COE and investment teams
The ideal candidate will:
- Bring at least 7+ years of relevant experience and demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong understanding of how global markets and investors are integrating ESG data and materiality frameworks such as the SASB standards
- Strong knowledge of data infrastructures (e.g. Google Cloud Platform) and programming (e.g. Python)
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with ability to influence and build trust with stakeholders at different levels ranging from executive management to ESG analysts
- Comfortable analyzing and quality-assuring large amounts of data from multiple sources with varying levels of quality
- A desire to share knowledge and expertise through training, presentations and white papers
- Passion for building innovative data tools and research solutions in a complex field with little existing standards
- Strong ability to manage complex projects, engage and update stakeholders within a specific timeframe
- Good understanding of ESG disclosure standards and frameworks such as TCFD, CDP, UNPRI, UN SDGs and EU SFDR
- CFA or equivalent academic credentials
Values and Personal Attributes:
- Analytical, innovative, and strategic thinker
- Enjoys hands-on work with ESG data, programming, and sustainable finance
- Likes to work in a collaborative environment with a team-oriented mindset
- Passionate about making a positive impact on environment and society
- Well organized
- Ability to implement – not just analyze
- Intellectual rigor
- Warm, friendly, collegial, and approachable - keen on working in a diverse workplace
Please visit our career page by clicking on the following link: https://www.mackenzieinvestments.com/en/careers
For internal applicants, please share with your current leader your intent to apply to the role. In the event that you are selected, please let your Talent Acquisition Partner know if you are in any other internal recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Mackenzie Investments; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mackenzie Investments is an accessible employer committed to providing a barrier free recruitment experience. If you require an accommodation or this information in an alternate format at any stage of the recruitment process, please reach out to the Talent Acquisition team who will work with you to meet your needs.
Please apply by August 2, 2022.